Hi, I’m Rachel and I’m a Mother, Educator, Outdoor Learning Facilitator and Forest School Leader.
Little Gulls was born from my life-long passion for the Coast and connecting people with their local natural environments.
After over decade working on environmental policy and managing community and infrastructure projects, I retrained to work educating people outdoors and as an Early Year Practitioner.
I am incredibly passionate about what outdoor learning and the Forest School process can do for all types of learners. My background means I have unique insights and skills to bring to educating about the environment – I not only fully understand (and love) natural habitats and processes, I also have a truly holistic view about what the environment means to people and how to enhance their learning experience within it.
I discovered Forest School when my son was a baby and quickly realised that it provided a place for both us to learn and connect with the natural world. Forest School is driven by the learners – no matter of age. A true Forest School programme is shaped by the participants and learner-centred education is the key to empowering people to be involved in their own learning for life. Beach School was born out my love for the coast and the incredible habitats in the intertidal zone. I believe the coastline, like woodlands, is an incredible educational resource – the fauna, the flora, the geology, the colours, the textures, the smells… There’s just so much to stimulate the senses and so much to engage with. Little Gulls is for everyone. And who doesn’t love playing on the beach?
As well as running Little Gulls, I also have considerable experience designing and delivering inspirational educational projects for leading environmental charities, including Kent Wildlife Trust and The Conservation Volunteers.
- My qualifications and good practice requirements:
- Level 3 Forest School Leadership qualification – EarthcraftUK
- Level 3 Wild Beach Leadership certificate – Sussex Wildlife Trust
- Postgraduate Certificate in Integrated Practice with Children & Young People
- Natural Mindfulness Guide Training – International Mindfulness and Meditation Alliance
- MA Town Planning
- University Diploma in Geosciences
- CACHE Level 3 – Childcare
- Specialist Forest School & Paediatric First Aid Certificate – EarthcraftUK
- Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering – Highfield
- Enhanced DBS certificate – Ofsted
- Forest and Beach School Combined Public Liability & Employee Liability Insurance – Birnbeck Insurance